Battle For Folly is a surfing event to be held April 21 at the Folly Beach Pier. Competitor meeting is at 9:00 AM at the peir. First heat begins at 10:00 AM after the Half Moon SUP Race is over. The surfing competition will be judged by ESA judges.
Interference, in partnership with Effort, Inc. and the Eastern Surf Kayaking Association is proud to announce two events for the 2013 surf kayaking season.
The first event, Battle for Folly, will take place as part of the Charleston County Parks and Recreation East Coast Paddlesports & Outdoor Festival in Charleston, South Carolina on April 21st, 2013.
REGISTER HERE: (you’ll need to use the code 30862 to access this event, and it will prompt you to register for a free account with the website) https://online.activecommunities.com/Charleston/Start/Start.asp
The Battle for Folly event will use the popular “Battle for” format previously showcased at the Battle for Hatteras event in 2010. Teams of three competitors, consisting of a long surf boat, short surf boat, and a stand up paddle board, will face off against other teams to determine the Keeper of the Lighthouse. This event is open to surf kayakers, sea kayakers, and SUPers of all skill levels, and will feature fabulous prizes, to be announced. We are excited for this chance to work with Charleston County Parks and Rec to bring this fun format to a new location.
*Nags Head North Carolina at Jennette’s Pier*
The second event in the Interference event series, The Tournament of Champions, will take place October 3-6, 2013 in Nags Head North Carolina at Jennette’s Pier, site of the 2011 World Surf Kayaking Championships. This event will feature a standard competition format in addition to the Battle for Nags Head comp and the 3rd annual Iron Wave Contest. More details will be announced soon.
Please review the rules for the Battle for Folly event below:
EVENT RULES & DESCRIPTION
BATTLE FOR FOLLY*
*The following rules are subject to change due to attendance, time, and conditions.
A new concept for paddle surf competition is here.
*The inaugural “Battle For” event was the Battle For Hatteras, held in 2010 at the famous Hatteras Lighthouse Break in North Carolina. In 2013 there are two “Battle For” events planned; Battle For Folly and Battle For Nags Head.
Format: Teams of 3 paddlers in 3 separate categories battling to be crowned KEEPER OF THE LIGHTHOUSE
Teams are comprised of 1 SUP, 1 Long Surf Kayak (may include sea kayaks) and 1 Short Surf Kayak (may include whitewater kayaks)
Rules for this team event:
- Teams of 3 different paddlers; each comprised of one Short Surf Kayak, one SUP and one Long Surf Kayak.
- Paddlers will accumulate points for his/her team based on their performance in their respective heats.
- Two preliminary rounds, each team will surf twice in randomly drawn heats. Surf Kayak paddlers will surf against Surf Kayak Paddlers, SUP against SUP, etc… Prelim heats will be 4 person heats.
- Top 3-4 teams advance to the finals for head to head 2 person heats to decide who will win the title of Keeper of the Lighthouse.
- There will be 4 rounds of finals, so each team member will surf head to head against each of the 3 other competitors in his/her category.
- Teams must have a team name, and a team flag to display on the beach.
- The more noise on the beach the better – bring your bells, whistles drums etc… to support your team.
BONUS POINTS FOR PRELIM ROUNDS:
- Teams with women paddlers will receive 2 bonus points(each) for the first round. Teams with juniors receive 1 bonus point (each) for the first round. This is to encourage teams to include women and juniors, and promote women and junior surfing.
- Finals are every team for themselves, with no bonus points added.
- Time permitting, there will be an individual “Surf What You Brought” event following the finals.
- REGISTER for Battle For Folly HERE: (you’ll need to use the code 30862 to access this event, and it will prompt you to register for a free account with the website) https://online.activecommunities.com/Charleston/Start/Start.asp
REGISTER (use code 30862)
Eastern Surf Kayaking Association
Charleston County Parks and Recreation
East Coast Paddlesports & Outdoor Festival
2011 World Surf Kayaking Championships
Sea Kayak Carolina